[Neuroinfo] *** Registry of Standards - share your feedback, help us to help you ***

Peter McQuilton peter.mcquilton at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 16:49:19 CET 2016

Dear colleagues,

We would like to ask you 10 questions to assess your needs for a
registry of standards in the life, environmental, and biomedical sciences.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BioSharing

If widely used, community-driven standards can help scientists to
broadly represent, annotate and share digital information in ways that
enable their re-use, reproducibility and further exploration. Did you
know there are >600 standards in the life, environmental and biomedical
sciences? We know that many researchers, developers, curators, funders,
journal editors, and librarians lack the support and guidance on how to
best select standards and understand their maturity, or to find tools
and databases that implement them.

BioSharing <https://www.biosharing.org> is a curated, web-based,
searchable portal of standards. Since 2011, Biosharing has ensured
standards are registered and discoverable, and has monitored their
maturity and evolution, and in doing so has helped provide enough
information for our growing user base to make informed decisions. This
is your time to drive enhancements to BioSharing, under several research
and infrastructure programmes. Your feedback will:
      1. Provide a review of BioSharing content and functionality as the
ELIXIR Standards Registry, under the European ELIXIR EXCELERATE
<https://datascience.nih.gov/bd2k> project
      2. Define BioSharing activities under the US NIH Big Data to
Knowledge (BD2K <https://datascience.nih.gov/bd2k>) initiative,
specifically to:
          - Work with the NIH Associate Director for Data Science (ADDS
<https://datascience.nih.gov/adds>) office to ensure BioSharing is
formally embedded in the complementary activities of the BD2K Standards
Coordinating Centre
          - Inform the contribution to the selection and usage of
standards in the BD2K Data Discovery Index (bioCADDIE
<https://biocaddie.org>) project, and the Centre for Expanded Data
Annotation and Retrieval (CEDAR <http://www.metadatacenter.org>)
      3. Contribute to the BioSharing Working Group, operating jointly
under the Force 11/Research Data Alliance (RDA) working groups
<https://rd-alliance.org/group/biosharing-registry-connecting-data-policies-standards-databases-life-sciences.html>.

Thank-you for participating in the survey. Your feedback is really
important to us.

Yours sincerely,

Peter McQuilton

(on behalf of Susanna-Assunta Sansone, Pascale Gaudet, the BioSharing
team and members of its Advisory Board, ELIXIR and BD2K projects who
have helped us in shaping this survey).

Yours sincerely,

Peter McQuilton

--