[Neuroinfo] PostDoc position: developing computational models of optogenetic stimulation in epilepsy patients

Marcus Kaiser mail at mkaiser.de
Sun Mar 13 23:34:02 CET 2016

Dear all,

a 3-year PostDoc position for developing computational models of
optogenetic stimulation in epilepsy patients is available within my lab as
part of the CANDO project at Newcastle University.

*** About CANDO ***

CANDO (Controlling Abnormal Network Dynamics using Optogenetics,
http://www.cando.ac.uk/) is a world-class, multi-site, cross-disciplinary
project to develop a cortical implant for optogenetic neural control. The
goal is to create a first-in-human trial in patients with focal epilepsy.
This seven year, £10M Innovative Engineering for Health Award, funded by
the Wellcome Trust <http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/> and the Engineering and
Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) <http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/> involves
a team of over 30 neuroscientists, engineers and clinicians based at Newcastle
University <http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ion/>, Imperial College London
<http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/electricalengineering>, University College
London <https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medphys> and The Newcastle Hospitals NHS
Foundation Trust <http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/>.

*** Available RA position ***

As part of this project, the lab of Prof. Marcus Kaiser (
http://www.dynamic-connectome.org/ ) is seeking a talented and enthusiastic
research fellow with a PhD awarded, or a PhD thesis about to be submitted,
in computational biology or related subjects.

Objectives of this position are, first, to develop a detailed simulation of
human brain activity at the local and global level of epilepsy patients.
Second, the effect of stimulation on ongoing activity will be studied.
Third, dynamical systems theory and extensive simulations will be used to
find optimal stimulation approaches that can reach desired oscillation
patterns with minimal stimulation. Simulations will be informed by invasive
recordings and non-invasive brain connectivity measurements in human
epilepsy patients.

Good communication skills, very strong dynamics modelling skills, and a
track record of previous peer-reviewed journal publications. You will have
experience with modelling brain rhythms and dynamical systems. The position
will include brief visits to our partners in the UK and abroad.

*** Research Environment ***

Neuroinformatics at Newcastle University in the UK covers a range of topics
from electrophysiology to neuroimaging. We are among the pioneers in
connectome analysis and the establishment of large-scale neuroscience data
management and analysis platforms, e.g. through the £4m EPSRC-funded CARMEN
project. Our strength is a close collaboration between computational,
experimental, and clinical researchers.

We currently have a team to 12 faculty members in the areas of
Neuroinformatics and Neurotechnology which is growing to 15 members by the
end of this year: http://neuroinformatics.ncl.ac.uk/

*** How to Apply ***

To apply, follow the information at

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AUD320/research-assistant-associate-computational-models-of-epileptic-brain-tissue-d34374r/

The deadline is Thursday 7 April.

For further information, contact Prof. Marcus Kaiser,
Marcus.Kaiser at ncl.ac.uk

Best,
  Marcus

--