[Neuroinfo] the 3rd European Computational Motor Control Summer School

Mitsuhiro.Hayashibe at inria.fr Mitsuhiro.Hayashibe at inria.fr
Sun Mar 20 11:40:01 CET 2016

Dear Colleagues,

(Apologies for multiple postings. Please forward to anyone you think would be
interested)

It is our pleasure to announce the third European Computational Motor Control
Summer School<http://ecmc.edu.umontpellier.fr/>, which will take place at the
Mas des Violettes<http://masdesviolettes.com/>, a very pleasant southern French
countryside setting near Montpellier, France, from Sunday June 26th to Saturday
July 2nd, 2016.

The overall organization will be a morning lecture and an afternoon Matlab-
tutorial, each taught by internationally acclaimed researchers in the field. New
topic in 2016: computational locomotion!

- Monday: Introduction to human motor control and learning . Sandro Mussa-Ivaldi
(AM) and David Franklin (PM)
- Tuesday: Locomotion. Katja Mombaur (AM) and James Finley (PM)
- Wednesday: Motor Control. Etienne Burdet, Emmanuel Guigon (AM), and Nathanael
Jarrassé (PM).
- Thursday: Motor Learning. Nicolas Schweighofer (AM); outdoor activities (PM)
- Friday: Motor Synergies. Andrea D'Avella (AM) and Mitsu Hayashibe (PM)

We will also have outdoors activities (canoe, hiking in the garrigue...), wine
cave visits, visit of Saint Guilhem-le-Desert,  aperitifs, banquet, student
presentations, etc. So this year again, we expect this summer school to be
instructive, fun, as well as a good networking opportunity. In any case, former
students and faculty members were raving about the summer school!

The prime target applicants are PhD students and post-doctoral fellows, but
applications from junior researchers will be considered. No knowledge of
computational motor control, or motor control, is necessary to attend. However,
students are expected to know Matlab and at least basics in linear algebra and
differential equations. Some knowledge in systems neuroscience would be
preferable. Each student will need to bring his/her laptop with Matlab pre-
installed.

To apply for participation, please email a CV and a brief statement of purpose
to Nicolas Schweighofer at schweigh at usc.edu<mailto:schweigh at usc.edu> (please use
"Summer school: your name" as title) by March 31st. Note that place is limited
and application is therefore likely to be competitive (and has been in the past).
 This 500 euro fee will cover the course, accommodation, complete full room and
board, and transportation to and from downtown Montpellier (France). The payment
will have to be made by May 1st via bank transfer.

The long-term goal of this summer school, which is made possible in large  part
by a grant from the multidisciplinary NUMEV initiative in Montpellier, is to
promote the field of Computational Motor Control in Europe. Other sponsors
include the Division of Physical Therapy and Biokinesiology at USC, and the
Euromov laboratory in Montpellier.

We hope to see you in June at the Mas des Violettes!

Nicolas Schweighofer, USC, Los Angeles
Denis Mottet, Euromov, Montpellier