[Neuroinfo] Postdoc in neuromorphic pattern recognition

Michael Schmuker m.schmuker at biomachinelearning.net
Tue Apr 25 16:58:12 CEST 2017

* Postdoc in neuromorphic pattern recognition *

Applications are invited for a postdoc position in the Biocomputation group, School of Computer Science, at the University of Hertfordshire, UK. The appointment is due to start as soon as possible, with an initial fixed duration until 31st March 2018, with a possibility to extend, pending funding decisions.

The successful candidate will join our efforts to advance neuromorphic pattern recognition on the SpiNNaker and BrainScaleS hardware systems that are built within the Human Brain Project (HBP). We are looking for a candidate with a keen tenacity in pushing forward the boundaries of future computing off the well-trodden path.

The Biocomputation group provides a rich and inspiring interdisciplinary research environment that connects Computer Science with Neuroscience and branches out into Machine Learning and Robotics.

HBP membership provides excellent opportunities to connect to world-leading scientists in all aspects of neuroscience, high-performance computing, neurorobotics and neuromorphic engineering. We enjoy first-class access to the latest neuromorphic technologies developed in HBP, and we work in tight interaction with the groups developing the hardware systems, SpiNNaker and BrainScaleS.

Research in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire has been recognized as excellent in the REF 2014, with 50% of the research submitted rated as internationally excellent or world leading. The University is situated in Hatfield, in the green belt just north of London.

Candidates should have a PhD in neuromorphic computing, machine learning, computational neuroscience, computer science, physics or another relevant subject area. In addition, the successful candidate should have demonstrable experience in either:
-       Machine learning and pattern recognition, ideally deep and recurrent neural networks, self-organisation, or
-       Neuromorphic computing, ideally with hands-on experience with SpiNNaker, BrainScaleS, or other neuromorphic hardware systems, or GPU-accelerated simulations.

Further desired skills:
-       Ability to conduct original research, as evidenced by high-quality, peer-reviewed papers,
-       Excellent programming skills, as evidenced e.g. by a link to a github account that shows work on relevant projects,
-       Ability to work and communicate in a multidisciplinary team.

Informal inquiries about this post are warmly welcome and should be directed to Dr Michael Schmuker, m.schmuker at herts.ac.uk .

Please apply online via http://jobs.herts.ac.uk, vacancy reference 014592, until 22nd May, 2017 at the latest.

—
Dr Michael Schmuker