[Neuroinfo] IBRO-Simons Computational Neuroscience Imbizo 2019: call for Teaching Assistants

ucgtada at ucl.ac.uk ucgtada at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 16:00:39 CEST 2018

The IBRO-Simons Computational Neuroscience Imbizo (isiCNI) is a
computational neurosciencesummer school held in Cape Town, South Africa.

We are looking for several Post-Doc (oradvanced PhD) researchers to join
our team as Teaching Assistants (TAs) for the isiCNI2019 in January 2019.

*About the Imbizo:*
The school hosts 30 students for an amazing 3 weeks of lectures,
tutorials, projects and parties! All this takes place right on
Muizenberg beach, between the mountain and the ocean. It's a spectacular
location. The dates for the isiCNI2019 are*January 6th - 27th 2019.*

The Imbizo is a special experience, with students being totally immersed
in academic, social, touristic and cultural activities for the full 3
weeks. This has resulted in student and TA groups from previous schools
becoming very close, personally and scientifically. This is fantastic,
as a major goal of the isiCNI project is to help young African
researchers grow their academic peer and friend group.

*About being a TA:*
EachTAruns one afternoon tutorial in the first week of the school, which
they design themselves.
Each TA will teach a different topic, which the TA's choose among
themselves, to try and provide students with a broad exposure to
problems and methods in comp neuro.
EachTAis also assigned 5 students to supervise for project work during
the second 2 weeks of the school.

TAs are integral in helping run the school. In addition to academic
support, they foster good social interaction  and academic discussions
between students and help 'shy' students meet faculty. They also act as
'social' care-takers, helping to notice and support students who may be
feeling ill, not fitting in socially, or generally having difficulties.
To fulfil these roles, TAs need to be at all school meals and activities.

We will also need a little help processing studentapplications*during
August*.

*What we provide:*
All this is obviously at no cost to TAs. We cover a direct as possible
economy class ticket to Cape Town, as well as all board and lodging
during the school.
In addition, TAs will receive a cash budget for 'hosting purposes'
during the school (e.g. buying some beers/ice-creams for students, train
tickets, etc.)

*I'm interested, how do I apply:*
If you think you would like to join us for this amazing experience,
please send us a brief CV (2 or 3 pages is fine)
toisicn.imbizo at gmail.com <mailto:isicn.imbizo at gmail.com>.
Please include (as a cover letter or in your email) a short motivational
statement for why you would be a good fit.
The_*DEADLINE is JUNE 18th 2018*_

We hope to hear from you soon! Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards

Dr Peter E. Latham, Dr Tim Vogels, Dr Joseph Raimondo and Alex Antrobus

IBRO-Simons Computational Neuroscience Imbizo Committee 2019
#isicni2019
Twitter: @isicni