[Neuroinfo] Towards a standard organization for animal electrophysiology: a new BIDS Extension Proposal

Sylvain Takerkart sylvain.takerkart at univ-amu.fr
Thu Mar 11 15:16:33 CET 2021

(apologies for cross-postings)

Dear everyone,

With this email, we would like to introduce a new BIDS Extension
Proposal (BEP) dedicated to electrophysiological data recorded in
animals (BIDS-animal-ephys). The BEP document is available here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oG-C8T-dWPqfVzL2W8HO3elWK8NIh2cOCPssRGv23n0>
and we are now seeking feedback (e.g comments directly in the document,
or posts in our discussion forum
<https://github.com/INCF/neuroscience-data-structure/issues>) from the
community at large to make sure this suits the largestpossible array
ofneeds in animal electrophysiology.

A bit of context and history. BIDS <https://bids.neuroimaging.io/> is a
simple and intuitive way to organize and describe neuroscientific data
in a standardized manner, originally developed for human neuroimaging
data (see the first paper on MRI-BIDS
<https://doi.org/10.1038%2Fsdata.2016.44>), and widely extended since
its original introduction to other data modalities (see e.g EEG-BIDS
<https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-019-0104-8>, or MEG-BIDS
<https://doi.org/10.1038/sdata.2018.110>). A good number of exchanges
have already taken place with electrophysiologists, with initial debates
on whether adapting the hierarchical organization offered (and imposed)
by BIDS (for other data modalities and recorded in human subjects) could
suit the needs of the community of researchers working with animal
models. Of course, it will change the habits of some, but a consensus
has emerged that sticking to what BIDS suggests could suit the needs of
a vast majority and that the long term benefits of such a
standardization could be worth changing some habits. These observations
have led to the formalization of this BIDS-animal-ephys Extension
Proposal (BEP).

For info, this BEP has been drafted by members of the INCF Working Group
on Standardized Data Structures
<https://incf.org/sig/incf-working-group-standardized-data>, that was
initiated in 2020 to attempt standardizing the handling of
neuroscientific data recorded in animal models. Note that at the present
time (early 2021), the discussions in this Working Group are split to
tackle two different issues:

- How to handle animal data in a generic manner (i.e across data
modalities, for both in vitro and in vivo data etc.)? The specific
discussion about this topic is centralized here
<https://github.com/INCF/neuroscience-data-structure/issues/9>.

- How to handle electrophysiological data recorded in animals, and how
to standardize the associated metadata? This is the main objective of
the present BEP.

Please consider joining this working group if you would like to
contribute to this effort (either directly on these topics, or for other
questions / data modalities). You can also reach the moderators of the
present BEP through our main discussion forum
<https://github.com/INCF/neuroscience-data-structure/issues>. Also,
please do not hesitate to forward this message around you so that we
reach as many electrophysiologists as possible!

Thanks in advance for your feedback and contributions!

--
Sylvain Takerkart

Institut des Neurosciences de la Timone (INT)
UMR 7289 CNRS-AMU
Marseille, France
tél: +33 (0)4 91 324 007
http://www.int.univ-amu.fr/_TAKERKART-Sylvain_?lang=en