[Neuroinfo] New Lecture Series | Mindvoyage

Brown, Tanya tanya.brown at ae.mpg.de
Wed May 25 13:22:57 CEST 2022

[cid:1520d7e0-67dd-4143-bc28-1de813e60e77]

The Mindvoyage lecture series features prominent scholars from different disciplines including the humanities, biology, neuroscience and physics.
Talks are dedicated to engaging in discussions related to
novel, distinct and often controversial topics.

The inaugural talk by Dani S Bassett will take place on June 2 @ 16:00 CET

All are welcome, but registration is required.

<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-01-dani-s-bassett.html>CLICK HERE TO REGISTER<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-01-dani-s-bassett.html>

[cid:855939a2-0bfa-4289-b63c-cc697c4cb881]<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-01-dani-s-bassett.html>

Abstract |  The Curious Human

The human mind is curious. It is strange, remarkable, and mystifying; it is eager, probing, questioning. Despite its pervasiveness and its relevance for our well-being, scientific studies of human curiosity that bridge both the organ of curiosity and the object of curiosity remain in their infancy. In this talk, I will integrate historical, philosophical, and psychological perspectives with techniques from applied mathematics and statistical physics to study individual and collective curiosity. In the former, I will evaluate how humans walk on the knowledge network of Wikipedia during unconstrained browsing. In doing so, we will capture idiosyncratic forms of curiosity that span multiple millennia, cultures, languages, and timescales. In the latter, I will consider the fruition of collective curiosity in the building of scientific knowledge as encoded in Wikipedia. Throughout, I will make a case for the position that individual and collective curiosity are both network building processes, providing a connective counterpoint to the common acquisitional account of curiosity in humans.

Registration Link
https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/institut/veranstaltungen/mindvoyage/mindvoyage-detailansicht/article/mindvoyage-01-dani-s-bassett.html

Hosted by Lucia Melloni<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en/the-institute/people/lucia-melloni-en.html> and Tanya Brown<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en/the-institute/people/tanya-brown.html> from the
Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>,
on behalf of the ARC-COGITATE<https://arc-cogitate.com/> Consortium.

My working hours may not be yours, respond in your own time

Tanya Brown

Scientific Coordinator  |  ARC-Cogitate

Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html><https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>

<https://www.aesthetics.mpg.de/en.html>Grüneburgweg 14, 60322 Frankfurt am Main, Germany