[Neuroinfo] PhD Course: Front-End Vision and Multi-Scale Image Analysis, Feb 2015, Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Haar Romenij, B.M. ter B.M.terhaarRomeny at tue.nl
Wed Jan 7 17:23:04 CET 2015

Announcement:

PhD Course: Front-End Vision and Multi-Scale Image Analysis 2015, Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Tutors: prof. Bart ter Haar Romeny (TU/e), prof. Nicolay Petkov (RUG)
Dates: 9-13 February 2015, and 23-26 February 2015.
Website: http://bmia.bmt.tue.nl/Education/Courses/FEV/course/index.html.
Registration: see website.

Content:
In this course we give a modern mathematical (and brain-inspired) approach to geometric reasoning, exploiting multi-scale differential geometry for (medical) image analysis as a branch of computer vision. We try to keep the analogy with stages in the human visual system as close as possible. We design image analysis algorithms by carefully studying the requirements, physical analogies, and from first principles. Modern brain imaging and connectivity methods at cellular and macroscopic level will be discussed and recent discoveries of functional brain mechanisms in visual perception.
Among the topics covered are: robust high-order derivative operators for 2D and 3D images, detecting invariant features (such as ridges, corners, T-junctions etc.), multi-scale analysis of 2D and 3D shape, motion from image sequences, depth from stereo, multi-orientation analysis for contextual operations, and the use of contemporary, well-understood mathematical tools from differential geometry and tensor analysis.
The majority of the examples discussed are from 2D, 3D and 4D (3D-time) medical imaging, in particular computer-aided diagnosis (mammography, MRI cardiac analysis, retinal imaging, etc.). We devote time to the efficient numerical implementation of the different techniques.
Hands-on experience is acquired in a computer lab. We use Mathematica 10 as this environment is eminently suited for this -design-  process, and we experiment with virtually all topics discussed in the course.
The tutors are well known for their excellent teaching capabilities. Eindhoven has many options for economic accommodation and is connected with many of Europe's low cost flights.

Best wishes,
Prof. Bart M. ter Haar Romeny, PhD

Department of Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical Image Analysis
De Rondom 70, NL-5612 AP Eindhoven, the Netherlands
B.M.terHaarRomeny at tue.nl,  http://bmia.bmt.tue.nl