[Neuroinfo] OCNS Software/Tools/Infrastructure Special Interest Group (SIG)

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 17:19:14 CEST 2020

Hello everyone,

(Please excuse the cross posts.)

At this year's annual CNS meeting[0], the Organization for Computational
Neurosciences (OCNS) discussed the formation of OCNS Special Interest
Groups (SIGs). The idea is for the OCNS membership to be able to
self-organise, based on common interests, to work on various
tasks/projects to develop themselves and computational neuroscience in
general[1]. The OCNS Board will enable SIGs by providing them with the
necessary resources.

As you will see on the Neurostars topic, a number of OCNS members have
expressed interest in different SIGs.  In my capacity as the current
OCNS webmaster, I'd like to focus on the software/tools/infrastructure
that is critical for computational neuroscience research. From the topic
on Neurostars[2]:

"Computational neuroscience cannot exist without the tools that we all
rely on. So, this SIG will focus on these. We’ll find and discuss tools,
we will learn how to use them, we will test and review them, we will
file bugs to inform the developers of issues, and finally we will try to
learn how they work and try to get involved in their development---to
ensure that these tools that we rely on remain in good shape by having
communities looking after them.

While we do all of this, we will improve our knowledge of transferable
skills: anything involved in modern software development (which are not
limited to only writing tools, but are extremely important/useful when
developing models using these tools)."

Please join the discussion on Neurostars if this interests you. We will
start to mobilise in the next few weeks. You can learn more about OCNS
membership here[3].

[0] https://www.cnsorg.org/cns-2020
[1] https://neurostars.org/t/cns-2020-ocns-members-meeting/15273/3?u=sanjayankur31
[2] https://neurostars.org/t/ocns-infrastructure-software-tools-sig-meet-and-greet-initial-discussions/15560